Friday, July 15, 2011

Crockpot Yogurt

Growing up I remember my Oma and Mom making yogurt in the oven. It seemed like it would be a lot of work.
My family loves yogurt! Spencer eats one daily and Chad and I want to but I make us ration them, otherwise I would have to buy 21 yogurts a week. My Oma recently told me how she made yogurt in her crockpot!
Making yogurt is not only easy but economical. I used powdered milk.
Basically you put 8 cups of milk in the crockpot on low for 2.5 hours, then you turn it off and unplug for 3 hours. Next you take out half a cup of warm milk and whisk in half a cup of plain yogurt with live cultures then whisk it into the warm milk in the crockpot. Cover and wrap in a heavy blanket (I used my jean quilt made by my Oma) for 8-12 hours. The next day put the crockpot in fridge, it will help it firm up a little bit more. I think stirring it make is watery so only add stuff right before you plan to eat it.
This is the site my Oma found and used, I liked it too!
http://www.justonedonna.com/2011/04/making-yogurt-at-home.html
This is just plain yogurt so it needs some add-ins. It is probably more healthful anyway to add in your own flavorings because really, who has cancer causing aspartame sitting in their pantry. Now I am off to experiment with what add-ins we like!

No comments:

Post a Comment